Saturday, July 7, 2012

Shadow of the Wolf Tree By Joseph Heywood


About 8 years ago I stumbled onto one of my favorite authors, Joseph Heywood.  I was in the library and picked up a book with intriguing cover art called The Snowfly a book about fly fishing that I have loved and given as a gift to many of my fishing friends.  Much to my delight, I found that Mr Heywood writes a series of mystery books set in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.  Heywood’s hero is a conservation officer named Grady Service and the crimes are those against the environment.  I was in heaven. 

I started my husband reading the books, and soon he was hooked too.  Four years ago, we took a family vacation to the Upper Peninsula because we were so curious about the landscape and people that play such a big part of Heywood’s novels. 

Recently I realized that Heywood has been busy and we haven’t been paying attention.  I decided it was time to catch up.  Heywood’s novel Shadow of the Wolf Tree does not disappoint.  Grady is back in the U.P. and his quirky cast of characters is with him.  This time he’s fishing with his buddy Treebone and his dog uncovers 2 human skeletons that have lain buried in the woods for decades.  Pretty soon there are more bodies and one of Grady’s own officers gets caught in a brutal wolf trap.  Service goes on the hunt to find out what’s going on. 

Of course I love a mystery involving environmental crimes and conservation officers hiking around out in the woods.  What is fun about these novels is that Heywood keeps us on our toes and sends us all around the U.P. trying to figure out the mystery along with our hero.  We meet a variety of characters that represent the hearty folks living on the U.P., from wealthy businessmen from Chicago, to Service’s arch nemesis, an old redneck poacher who runs a family crime ring.  Heywood weaves a tale with craftsmanship and grace and breathes life into his characters that is not always seen in the world of mystery writing.  The only thing that doesn’t ring true is Service’s amazing ability to travel from one town to another in record time – something we found out while visiting the area.  It’s a big region and it takes longer than Heywood claims to travel the distance. 

If you’re looking for a new mystery writer to follow, I can’t think of a better one.  Heywood may be one of the secret jewels in the crown of the mystery genre.  He’s written 8 books in the series (called the Woods Cop Series) and all of them are really great.  I have two more to read to get caught up and one is already on my bedside table.  Stay tuned, you’ll be reading about it soon….

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a good one. I will check him out. I just finished The Gunslinger, the first book in a long series by Stephen King. I am not a fan of his (yet), but this type of story entertains me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like him. Start with one of his earlier ones so you get the context. They are all easy to get lost in.

      Delete