Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Addict's Best Books of 2012

One of my first posts on this blog was my recap of the best books of 2011.  Since it was the most popular post of the year, it is evident that it should become an annual event.  Every year, I keep a log of how many books I read and, on a very rudimentary scale, I rate the ones I liked the best.  By the way, if you don't keep track of your reading obsession, you might try it this year. Its really helpful when you're buying gifts or can't remember the name of a book in conversation and its fun to look back and remember all the books that you read.  So this year, I read 33 books, mostly fiction plus one classic, one story collection and two memoirs.  Here are my top rated books for the year.

Nightwoods by Charles Frazier

This is about a woman living a solitary existence in the mountains of North Carolina when she is visited by social services and asked to raise her murdered sister's twins.  Set in the early 60's this book is reminiscent of a time long gone before internet and mass media when people lived more simply.  Frazier knows his mountains and the people who live there and he weaves a beautiful story that gives us a glimpse inside their lives.  Reviewed in April




Running the Rift by Naomi Beneron

A gripping and beautiful story about war torn Rwanda - not what you'd expect. About a young man who is training as an Olympic long distance runner.  Its about his coming of age in a world full of chaos, and the political hopes that are placed squarely on his shoulders.  I thought I'd hate the story about the 1996 fratricidal war in Rwanda, but in fact I loved it, especially as it was a summer Olympic year.  It made me thoughtfully consider the athletes from small African countries and what they went through to get to London.  Quite possibly the best read of 2012.  Don't miss it.  Reviewed in May


In One Person by John Irving

John Irving always gets my vote.  He's talented and interesting and ALWAYS takes his readers places that they never thought they'd go.  This one is no exception.  A gorgeous book about sexuality of all kinds.  Irving allows us to follow a bisexual man through his life from adolescence through adulthood, full of quirky characters, poignant plot lines and an exploration of what tolerance really means. I've read all of Irving's work and loved them all.  Reviewed in June




The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

Here's an unexpected one.  The Dog Stars is a post apocolyptic story set in the near future after a terrible epidemic has swept through the world, killing most of the people.  I know, I see the words "post apocolyptic" and my eyes glaze over, but this was one wonderful read.  We follow an airplane pilot and his dog as they search for other survivors and begin to start living with compassion and love again.  Thought I'd hate it, but couldn't believe how much I liked it.  Action packed, sad, happy and hopeful all at once.



The Marriage Plot by Jeffery Eugenides

Based on Victorian romance novels, the story is about a modern day love triangle.  Its an uber character study, rich with detail and voice.  The story follows Madeline, Mitchell and Leonard from college days through young marriage as they grow up, graduate, marry and find out who they really are.  Since I read it, I have heard that some people loved this one and some hated it.  I happen to be in the first category.  Reviewed in February




The Book of Joe by Jonathon Tropper

I love when I get introduced to a new author.  This year, I started reading Tropper, a sarcastic and funny author who writes like many of us think.  This one is about a young writer who writes a scathing book about the small hometown he has escaped from.  The problem is that he has to go back and face the town as he takes care of his ailing father. A great book about guys and friendships, I started my husband reading Tropper and he likes him too.  Reviewed in June



Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan

Jazz in Berlin on the eve of World War II.  African American musicians who go to Europe to escape the American Jim Crow laws get caught up in the racism of Nazi Germany.  Its a book about friendship and forgiveness and age.  This is one of the hidden jewels of the year, a gripping novel about this little known substory of World War II.  Really interesting characters and something about the war that I didn't know.  I have recommended it to my book group this year.  I think we'll have lots to talk about.


So there you have it.  The List of 2012.   

I hope you find something you haven't read and or be reminded of something you wanted to read all along.  Happy New Year!


4 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these and needed some good recommendations! Thanks Book Addict!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Welcome Debbi. What have you been reading? Maybe I'll get some good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Leslie! All I want to do nowadays is cook good food and read good books! I've started a wish list on Amazon.com and I will add these to it! I have so many books stacked by my bed and so little time to read! Hope to see you soon!
    Allison F

    ReplyDelete